Friday, May 8, 2015

Alice Manzi - Featured Artist - May 2015

                    
 Alice Manzi -Sculptor
http://www.manzisculpture.com/


As a figurative sculptor, I have been called upon mostly, to do life sized work, but these projects have been interspersed with extremely large and small as well! I am currently at work on a ten foot sculpture for Malta, NY, which will be installed this month. I was recently chosen to design an award for a local museum. Sculptor, Magdelena Abakanowicz, has been and inspiration  to me for a number of years. Michelangelo has been in my head for many reasons, and remains a very important figure for me.
 I have worked at sculpting since I was 10 and even before. My family owned a lumber yard and I carved wood for years before finding marble as a medium, on a Pratt Institute program in Italy. 

The most challenging issues for me are finding galleries and commissions. I have of course, worked on my own sculpture. In fact, I have never stopped. I have always made my living at sculpture and at times teaching sculpture.

Long ago I moved from Manhattan to Saratoga, NY. This choice created a lifestyle very different than the one I might have had in Manhattan. My work grew and formed around my geographical challenges. By this I mean there were fewer opportunities and resources for my work and creating it. I worked through this on my own by doing what was needed, creating projects from headstones, mannequins and memorials to sculpture renovations. 
I have experienced an artistic life of great variety.
My fellow artists are a great source of friendship and support.

When I am not sculpting, I enjoy family and my home. I read constantly and I am currently assembling a library filled with books collected over many years. 



Technology has influenced my work in a big way. On the one hand, I use photo shop to give my client a visual of how the sculpture will look at the final site. On the other hand, shops I work for now have installed CNC machines that, when guided by a computer program can carve various materials. In these projects I am the "finisher", putting the final touches on the work.
This technology has cost me in a big way. The final product is never what it might have been, built by hands, but these days acceptable work is sometimes enough.
Several years ago, I was granted NYSCA funding to support exploration to my figurative works in glass. I feel new to this dynamic medium and fully enjoy attempting to create what I have in mind! 












No comments:

Post a Comment